Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Game #48-Calgary Flames


















Calgary Flames vs. Los Angeles Kings
Saddle Dome
January 14th, 2012

How did I convince Keli to go with me for a two game weekend…have them be in Canada! We headed off to Calgary first for some adventure. We were completely unsure about the weather. Both of us have seen Cool Runnings countless times and every time I think about Calgary I go to the scene where the Jamaican bobsled team were leaving the airport and couldn’t step outside because of the weather. But luckily for us it was nearly 40 degrees during the day, not too shabby. The day of the game we headed out to the 1988 winter Olympic park to go bobsledding. Only one word comes to mind, AWESOME! The best way to describe the ride is to think of the fastest roller coaster mixed with no safety harness. We hit 120kpm’s as well as 5 G’s!

Heading to the game I didn’t know what to expect. I know how rabid the Canadian hockey fans are so rolling in with my 1980’s bright gold and purple Marcel Dionne jersey made me stand out like a sore thumb. When we got to the arena I didn’t see a single LA fan. Usually there are a couple stragglers but not today. The only thing that made things worse was that it was country night with the Flames, yuck…Garth Brooks. But whatever, I need a win tonight. The Kings came out strong and continued throughout the game. Maybe it was because this was coach Darryl Sutter’s return to Calgary, maybe it was because he was coaching against his brother Brent, could be that the Kings have finally turned it on this year, but whatever the reason I like it. Dustin Brown and Mike Richards each had a goal and assist while Jonathan Quick made 29 saves. The only highlight for the Flames was the return of Mike Cammalleri from the Canadians (and Kings back in the day). The ovation he got during the line up announcement was only overshadowed by the goal he scored in the second period. Other Flames notables like goalie Mikka Kiprusoff had a decent game with 20 saves while Jerome Iginla was fairly non-existent throughout the match. In the end the Kings came away with a 4-1 win and I went home a happy camper. We also found some LA fans on the way out…actually they were Mike Richards fans, but I will take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment