Sunday, March 25, 2012

Game #52-Detroit Pistons

















Detroit Pistons vs Toronto Raptors
The Palace at Auburn Hills
March 10, 2012

At the tail end of my time in the Detroit area I hit up the Detroit Pistons in Auburn Hills. This area is really nice, much different from downtown or Dearborn which is where I am staying. It is a very upscale neighborhood and for some reason it reminds me of the Charlotte NC area. The Palace is a complete contrast to Joe Louis. This arena is brand new, high tech, and unfortunately, has little character. I guess it is no different than any other new arenas like the Amway Arena in Orlando or Staples Center in LA, but after just being in Hockey Town it is a bit of a let down. Maybe it is also because the electricity in Joe Louis where the Wings are one of the best in the league to the Pistons who are one of the worst in the NBA. In the least I thought there would be some cool fan experience areas or highlights of the championships during the “Bad Boys” days…but I only found a single trophy case with little memorabilia. Oh well, maybe the game will be exciting…nope.

Maybe it’s because I don’t know anyone on either team except for Tayshaun Prince, but it seemed like there were a lot of no name players on the floor. I guess if you are a Pistons fan it was a good game because they shot the lights out in the first quarter going up 37-14 and never looking back going on to a route of 105-86. Rodney Stuckey had an impressive game with 20 points and Brandon night with 7-13 for 19 points. As for the Raptors, James Johnson put in 4 points…I only mention him because it seemed like all the Toronto fans that drove down from Canada had his jersey. Really, cheering for a player that only scores 4 points?

I wish I could say the most exciting part of the game took place with one of the NBA teams on the floor, maybe an exciting dunk or ally oop, but actually it was just a group of trampoline artists who dunk balls from 20 feet in the air. It’s exciting but since I have been to so many NBA games I think this is the third time I have seen the show so I was not terribly overwhelmed. Well, the good news is that I got one more team checked off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment