Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Game #39-New York Islanders












New York Islanders vs. Los Angeles Kings
Nassau Coliseum
February 19, 2011

What the hell happened over the past 24 hours? Yesterday it was 65 degrees and I was rolling around in shorts, today it is 25 degrees and I can’t seem to wear enough clothes to keep me from shivering. What can I do to cure this, well go see the LA Kings of course! Unlike Madison Square Garden, the trek to Nassau Coliseum is a bit more difficult since it is all the way out in Uniondale, about 25 miles from Manhattan. Luckily Keli came in town and I have a partner in crime. After a crazy night just getting to the game, we got out of the “cab” (I will explain later) and had to run about a half mile in the freezing temps just to get into the arena. I got fantastic seats at the game, 2 rows behind the penalty box, but already freezing and then being right on the ice it made for a miserable time. The game, as a Kings fan, didn’t make things any better. The Islanders are one of the worst teams in the league this year but this night they were dominant. With three goals from Frans Nielsen (1) and Matt Moulson (2) the Islanders made the Kings their bitches and took home the win 3-0. What made the game even worse were the fans, they are obnoxious. With extremely heavy New York accents, I just heard jabbering behind us the entire game about how much the Kings suck. One idiot behind me kept screaming at Alexi Ponikarovsky “Hey number 27, your name doesn’t even fit on the back of yo joisy!!!”. Really??? That’s your taunting??? The only positive from the game was the seats. I have never sat so close to the players before and you could hear them jawing at each other when they were in the penalty box. It was also pretty cool to be behind the head refs, I got a great picture of the commercial log which I have never seen before.

Crazy fact from this game. Keli and I had to take a train to the game with a connection in Jamaica, Queens. The train leaving Penn station was set for 5:40, but we were running a bit late so when we got to the tracks we just jumped on the train going to Jamaica not realizing there were two (one at 5:40 and one at 5:45) Unfortunately we took the 5:45 which made us 2 minutes late for the connection train. So now we are stuck in the ghetto (Keli informed me that Jamiaca is where 50 Cent got shot 9 times…). Our only option was to get a cab or be an hour late. A couple of sketchy dudes outside of the station asked if we needed a cab, and at this point we had no choice. The “cabbie” said my car is just down the street which was already odd, but when we were three blocks away following a random dude in the middle of the slums we thought for sure we made a huge mistake. Then we got to his “cab”, a regular dark blue Toyota Carolla. “What are we getting into” was all I was thinking. The entire time I had a map pulled up on my phone to make sure we were going in the right direction as well as 911 ready to be called. Keli kept looking at me like “we better not be killed tonight…”. Anyway, the trip was fine and we got the game on time, but I will NEVER put us in that situation again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment