Saturday, May 15, 2010

Game #1-Kansas City Royals






Kansas City Royals vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Kauffman Stadium
July 7, 2006

Wow, this state is flat! I am here in Kansas City, MO for the 2006 USAT age group national championship in triathlon. I don't know anyone here, Keli couldn't make the trip, and there really is nothing to do around the hotel or lake where the race is taking place so I thought "I have a car, let's go see a ball game". The drive from Smithville Lake to Kauffman Stadium is only about 30 minutes away, so it was cool to see a bit of the state. Drove over a couple of sick looking bridges, a funky looking theme park called Worlds of Fun, but the best view was seeing the baseball stadium right next to the Chiefs Arrowhead stadium. Anyway, I headed to the ticket office and picked up a single seat for $5...can't beat that price. The ballpark was really weird looking, it looked like a big shirt collar. The pictures will do it more justice than me describing it. The game was fairly boring neither team is very good this year but I like all the DeJesus jerseys and shirts. It just reminded me of the bowling character in the Big Lebowski..."I am the Jesus". Well I stayed for most of the game but decided it would be best for me to head home a bit early to grab some food and hit the hay so I am ready for the race tomorrow morning. As for the game, Royals won 13-3.

Notes on the stadium: Some highlights of Kauffman Stadium, I loved the fountains in the outfield. A simple spray of water and you had a perfect Royals emblem. Oh yeah, the huge Dodge Ram that was on a pedistal in the outfield was strange. I wonder how many times a homerun ball has dinged it up? Also I enjoyed seeing a couple of people sitting in the field behind the stadium watching the game for free...kind of surprised they didn't get kicked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment