Monday, May 17, 2010

Game #32-Minnesota Twins













Minnesota Twins vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Target Field
April 3, 2010

Second game ever at the brand new Target Field for the Minnesota Twins. This new field is so hyped up around the town, billboards on buildings, trains, trolleys, gigantic signs about opening day…the city is really pumped about outdoor baseball. I got a glimpse of the field before the Timberwolves game since the stadium is right behind the Target Center, but walking inside was eye popping. Everyone was enthralled with the look of the field, and the old school sign with the original mascots had that old time touch of flare that everyone enjoys. The day was also beautiful, sunny and some clouds which is much better than the forecast just two days prior to the game when it was 80% chance of rain. When I was ready to roll out Keli’s sister said it was still cold outside but my Southern California brain saw sun and therefore equated 80 degree temps with it. I thought, “I will bring a windbreaker…just in case”. Thank god I brought it, I was freezing. In shorts with flip flops, in the shade, with wind, I think it was about 45-50 degrees. Not smart. But I figured when I couldn’t take it anymore I will walk around and stand in the sun for a bit. A little side story about my seat, I happened to be right behind a bunch of 45 year old drunks with the main culprit being a lady who was celebrating her birthday…and letting everyone know about it. Very annoying because she kept taking pictures of herself with the kissy face and then the “I am a rocker girl, I can prove it by making the devil sign with my hand!!!”. What was even worse was that this muffin top kept getting out of her seat and just blinding me with old lady ass crack. What the f-!, since when did old ladies stop wearing granny panties, cover that crap up! OK, got that out. The game was a lot of fun. The Twins bulked up their team this year by adding two former Dodgers in Jim Thome and Orlando Hudson, and then retaining the leagues MVP Mauer for a couple more years. Mauer blasted a straight away homer in the 5th and then another “round the baser” was knocked out in the 7th. All in all it was a lot of fun, the Twins beat the Cards 8-3. I think the best part of the game honestly was the stadium though, the view from left field looking at the city skyline was amazing. I will just remember next time that MN warm is San Diego freezing.

Notes about the stadium: Target Field, what can I say, it is a fantastic park. I never saw a game at the Metrodome but I now know why the town is going crazy for outdoor baseball. The designers did a great job incorperating the new and the old, for instance the scoreboard has one of the biggest, clearest screens I have ever seen. Then you have the old school scoreboard which features "Minnie" and "Paul", which is a tribute to the original Twins logo and when the home team hits a homer the two players light up and shake hands over the Mississippi river. Some other cool things to look for are the statues of Kirby Puckett, Harmon Killebrew and Rod Carew as well as the huge Golden Glove outside of the center field gate that commemorates all the golden glove winners in the MLB. Then the ultimate view is along the 3rd base line where you get a perfect shot of downtown Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment