Sunday, May 16, 2010

Game #18-Washington Capitols











Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders
Verizon Center
April 1st, 2009

I was really excited about this game, I am going to see one of the top teams in the league and in my opinion the best hockey player in Alexander Ovechkin. I am in Maryland for a business trip and I was able to line up two games while I am here (Wiz and Caps). Deon Chen, Gabby Kluender, and I headed to the game on the public transit train which was really nice. No traffic, no parking, and it was only $7. I wish the trolley ran like this in San Diego! Anyway the Caps fans were ready, almost everyone was in red or a jersey (I would say 2/3s were Ovechkin) and they were all prepared for another win. The game was awesome. At first the Caps were not connecting their passes and played a bit sloppy, at one point they were down 2 to 0. In the second period we saw the first fight of the game and that brought a fire to the Caps that lead to two unanswered goals that tied the game. Some more heavy hitting and great passing eventually lead to a 4-3 lead, then an empty netter made the final score 5-3 Caps. Ovechkin had two goals and the home crowd again went home happy. The only negative in the game was the little shits behind us, some retarded parents brought their kids and about five of his 10 year old friends to the game but left them alone while they went to better seats down below. The pieces of crap were screaming like girls, spitting out obscenities, and spilling food/drinks on people. Another reminder why I never want kids! The good things about the game, first I wore my San Diego Gulls jersey and met about 5 people who either lived in San Diego or visited and went to a game at the SD sports arena. The second was a funny trick the arena played on fans, in one section the announcer stated someone had a ticket under their seat which they could redeem for a 60 inch flat screen tv. The section was going crazy, screaming and clapping…then about 10 seconds later the announcer stated “April Fools!!!” Oh, so funny.

Notes on the arena: I like the fact the Verizon Center was perfectly located in a part of the city that you can literally take the train directly to the front entrance. Inside the arena you had Ovi's section, cool banners, and a spectacularly clear scoreboard that really pumps up the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment